Established in 1955 The Sports Shop, changing it's name to Toymaster in 2019 is the original and largest toy & modelling retailer on the Isle of Wight.
The business was originally started as The Hyde Road Sports Ground by Geoff & Elsie Young in 1935 from their home in Shanklin.
They had Tennis Courts, a Pitch & Putt course and a Table Tennis room.
They then started selling rackets and operating a re-stringing service until 1955 when they purchased a house in Regent Street, this was then converted into The Sports Shop.
Over the years the two adjoining houses came up for sale and were purchased by Geoff and Elsie and so the business as it is today was born.
In the early 1970's Geoff and Elsie retired and their son Nigel took over the running of the business.
The business now consists of two shops with the Isle of Wight's largest selection of toys and modelling under the Toymaster banner.